• 55028
    PROPERTIES
  • 591
    AGENCIES
  • 40
    COUNTRIES

When people talk about wonderments, Thailand, the land of smiles, will probably be in the top five places considered. This is one of the main reasons Thailand is one of the top tourist destinations in the world. From visiting places like the amazing Koi Samui Island, the historical Ayuthaya Park, or simply enjoying a city tour in the bustling city of Bangkok

67 million

Thailand's climate is tropical, high both in temperature and humidity, and dominated by monsoons. April and May are the hottest months of the year, when even the locals are moved to complain about the heat. June sees the beginning of the South West Monsoon, and brings with it the rainy season, which continues intermittently until the end of October. From November to the end of February the climate is much less trying with a cooling North East breeze and a reduction in the humidity level. This is also the main tourist season, and the best time to visit Thailand. The north and north-east are generally cooler than Bangkok in winter, and hotter in summer. In the far north, around Mae Hong Son temperatures can occasionally drop as low as 2oC

Thai Baht

Thai but English is widely spoken

Foreigners can buy property in Thailand but there are some restrictions. Buying a condominium in Thailand as a foreigner is the easiest and most straightforward method to invest in real estate. Due to the 1979 Thailand Condominium Act, foreigners can own condominiums anywhere in Thailand 100% outright, as long as the building has not already sold its 49% foreign quota. Each condominium in Thailand when registering with the land department designates 49% of its units for sale for potential purchase by a non-Thai buyer. This way at least 51% of the building always remains in the hands of local Thai people, however individual units that make up the other 49% can be sold to foreigners outright. Therefore it is legal for a non-Thai, non-resident foreigner to own 100% of a freehold condominium in Thailand. And in fact 17% of condominiums owned in Bangkok are owned by foreign investors. If the foreigner wishes to acquire land and build a house, he/she should obtain a long term lease on the land, typically 90 years (registered 30 years initially and two renewals of 30 years each). The foreigner should apply for the construction permit to build the house in their own name. This way the foreigner owns the house and has a secured long term lease on the land. The lease is written with the option to reassign to another person (if you sell), ability to sublease and with a purchase option (should the law change in the future to allow freehold ownership by the foreigner). Therefore, a lease is the most common legal method for the foreigner to acquire property in Thailand.

• Once you find the property that you wish to buy and have agreed a price, You should ask for and pay extra attention while examining the title deed of the property that lies with the land department or development authority of that region. This is just to make sure that the seller possesses the ownership and has all the legal rights to sell the property to the second party. Once you have got a lawyer to look over the documents you will need to pay, a normally non refundable, 10% of the sale price as deposit and sign a sales agreement with the seller You will receive a Title Deed with your details on as proof of ownership once you have transferred and paid the remainder of the 90% to the Seller, this is usually 3-4 weeks after signing the sales agreement If you are buying from Developer then you will pay a deposit of usually around 25%, then a further 25% at each stage of the build until the final payment once you have inspected the finished property

Agency fees can range from 3-5% Total fees for legal work and registration should surpass 4% of the sale price

When leasing an apartment or villa anywhere in Thailand it is extremely advisable to use an agent Once you have found your property you should negotiate on the rent and what is included You will need to pay generally a two months security deposit (sometimes 3 months if you have pets or there is new furniture in the property) this is refundable at the end of your tenancy should your landlord be happy with the condition You agent will help you but you should get your Tenancy Contract in Thai and in English, you rent will be paid monthly in advance

The agent usually gets paid by the Landlord but you can expect to pay minimal administration costs